Page images

Mr. and Mrs. John Wesley

S. and M. A. T., in grateful acknowledgment of special mercies
Thomas Llewellyn, Esq.....

[blocks in formation]

Special Contributions to aid the Income of 1843, in Answer to the Appeal made by the Treasurers and Secretaries of the Wesleyan Missionary Society, dated December 22d, 1843.

James Hargreave, Esq., Leeds

Joseph Burton, Ditto

A few Friends in the Third Manchester Circuit (in part).

Dr. and Mrs. Peter Wood, Manchester, by the Rev. Dr.


[blocks in formation]

£. s. d. 1000 0 100 O


100 0 0

[merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors]

G. W. Harrison, Esq., Wakefield..

A Friend, by the Rev. Elijah Hoole......

O. 0. O., Liverpool, by the Rev. A. E. Farrar

Mr. and Mrs. A. Vickers, New-Mills.

Thomas Barker, Esq., South Shields
Ambrose Brewin, Esq., Tiverton
Rev. John Maclean and Family

B. Wilson, Esq., Mirfield, a Gold Chain, sold for
Rev. G. Hughes and Family, Liskeard

Christopher A. Wawn, Esq., South Shields.

Rev. T. and Mrs. Eastwood, Nottingham

Mr. C. H. Clarke, Ditto..
Mr. R. Goodacre, Ditto
Mr. and Mrs. Carter, Dillo..
Mr. and Mrs. Hebb, Ditto
Rev. S. Nightingale, Ditto.
Mr. Abbey, Ditto

Mr. James Clarke, Ditto

A Friend, Ditto

Mr. I. B. Lomas, Ditto

Mr. Orton, Ditto...

Rev. S. Simpson, Ditto

Mr. J. Shelton, Ditto

Rev. W. Wilson, Ditto

[ocr errors]

Sums under £1

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]

0 0

0 0

0 0

10 10 0

10 10 0

10 0 0

8 0 0

5 5 0

5 0 0

3 3 0 216 0 2 10 0

1 0

[blocks in formation]

.12 5 9

36 7

[blocks in formation]


[graphic][merged small]

FOR MARCH, 1844.




MR. WIGGAN was born at Colne, in Lancashire, September 17th, 1812; but, although his parents had been for many years consistent members of the Wesleyan society, and his father was a useful ClassLeader, he himself did not fully yield to the power of vital godliness till he was nineteen years of age. About that time, accompanying the Rev. Thomas Hickson on a visit to a young woman in dying circumstances, Mr. Hickson's conversation and prayers made a very powerful impression on his mind: he was deeply convinced of sin, and began earnestly to seek after the salvation of his soul. He did not seek in vain. Under a sermon preached by the Rev. Thomas Skelton, he was enabled with the heart to believe unto righteousness, and received the "blissful assurance of favour divine." It was in September, 1831, that he became a member of the church on the ordinances of which he had attended from his infancy, and whose ministry had been made the instrument of his spiritual conversion. He gave himself to God, and enrolled his name on the lists of one of the tribes of the Israel of God.

From the time that he found peace with God, he felt extremely desirous to bring others to the same blessed condition; and, believing it to be his duty to call sinners to repentance, he was placed on the Local-Preachers' Plan, in May, 1832; and, for several years, embraced every opportunity of doing good that presented itself,-labouring assiduously to save others, and at the same time giving all diligence to make his calling and election sure, and thus to save himself.

In 1835 he was called to devote himself fully to the work of the Christian ministry, and was appointed by the Conference to the Spilsby Circuit, where he laboured diligently and acceptably for a year; and was then removed to Wisbeach. Here he spent two years happily and usefully. Many were brought to God by his labours, and many were comforted and edified.

In 1838 he was appointed to the Boston Circuit. A wide and important field of usefulness now appeared to be opening before him; and he entered on his labours determining, in humble dependence on VOL. XXIII. Third Series. MARCH, 1844.

the grace of God, that they should occupy him wholly, and that he would make full proof of his ministry. It is not in man, however, to direct his own way. Mr. Wiggan was soon called to experience interruptions of labour through bodily weakness, and to serve God by a patient resignation to his will in seasons of inactivity and suffering. But he was enabled to be faithful even in these painful circumstances; and to teach by example, when not able to conduct the public services of the sanctuary.

The race set before him was indeed a brief one: his course was soon fulfilled. In the beginning of July, 1840, not being very well, he went to spend a short time with his brother-in-law, at a village between Boston and Spilsby. His indisposition, however, increased, and at length issued in typhus-fever, under which he rapidly sank; and entered into rest, Friday, July 17th, in the twenty-eighth year of his age, and the fifth of his itinerancy. For some time previous to his death he appeared to be insensible; but, during the last two days, he had the full use of his mental faculties, and was quite aware of the circumstances in which he was placed. A friend who visited him at this time has furnished the following statement:--

"On entering the room I saw, if the countenance be at all an index to the mind, that peace reigned within. Mr. Wiggan was evidently approaching the eternal world; but, with holy resignation, and placid serenity, the servant was waiting the call of his Lord. I had known him in active life; and I now saw exemplified the principles he had always inculcated, and which had governed him in other forms of service. I took his hand, and said to him, "You have been wont to minister to us the word of the Lord, and to recommend to others the consolations of the Gospel; but you now need them for yourself.' He replied, 'Yes, I do; and I may have them,-I may have them now.' He was too weak for much conversation; but, as soon as I proposed prayer, he seemed instantly to be aroused, and evidently joined earnestly in the petitions that were offered up. On taking leave of him, I said, 'Thine eyes shall see the King in his beauty; they shall behold the land that is very far off.' He immediately responded, 'All is right; all is right!""

After the friend above mentioned had left the room, Mr. Wiggan said, "I have nothing to do but to die. Jesus is my only trust." His tranquillity, however, seemed shortly to suffer a brief interruption, as though his ghostly enemy had been permitted to make a last attack. His countenance wore an anxious appearance; and in quick tones he said, “Get away," and then prayed earnestly to his Saviour. The struggle did not continue long; his countenance resumed its tranquil, and even cheerful, expression; and he rejoiced in Christ, who had given him the final victory. After this he said but little; and at length, nature being exhausted, he quietly "fell on sleep," in his youthful prime dying in the Lord.

« PreviousContinue »