« PreviousContinue »
PRINTED BY BALLANTYNE AND COMPANY,
FOR LONGMAN, rees, orme, Brown, GREEN, AND LONGMAN,
CONTENTS or No. CXIX.
V. 1. Historical Researches into the Politics, Intercourse,
and Trade of the Carthaginians, Ethiopians, and Egyp-
tians. By A. H. L. Heeren, Professor of History in the
2. Historical Researches into the Politics, Intercourse, and
Trade of the Principal Nations of Antiquity. By A. H.
L. Heeren, Professor of History in the University of Goet-
tingen. Translated from the German. Asiatic Nations,
VI. Pindar in English Verse. By the Rev. Henry Francis
VII. The Round Towers of Ireland; or the Mysteries of Free-
masonry, of Sabaism, and of Budhism, for the first time
unveiled. Prize Essay' of the Royal Irish Academy,
enlarged, and embellished with numerous Illustrations.
VIII. On the Connexion of the Physical Sciences. By Mrs
ART. X. 1. First Report by Messrs Villiers and Bowring on the
Commercial Relations between France and Great Bri-
2. Addresse des Negocians de Bordeaux aux Chambres
XI. Report made to his Majesty, by a Royal Commission of
Enquiry into the State of the Universities of Scotland.
(Ordered by the House of Commons to be printed, 7th
XII. 1. Poor Laws in Ireland, considered in their probable
effects upon the Capital, the Prosperity, and the Pro-
gressive Improvement of that Country. By Sir John
2. Report of Evidence from the Select Committee on the
State of the Poor in Ireland. (Ordered by the House
ART. I. 1. Letter to Sir Humphry Davy, Bart. P.R.S., on the appli-
cation of Machinery to Calculate and Print Mathematical
Tables. By Charles Babbage, Esq. F.R.S.
2. On the Application of Machinery to the Calculation of
Astronomical and Mathematical Tables. By Charles
3. Address to the Astronomical Society, by Henry Tho-
mas Colebrooke, Esq. F.R.S. President, on presenting
the first gold medal of the Society to Charles Babbage,
Esq., for the invention of the Calculating Engine.
4. On the determination of the General Term of a new
Class of Infinite Series. By Charles Babbage, Esq.
5. On Errors common to many Tables of Logarithms.
6. On a Method of Expressing by Signs the Action of
Machinery. By Charles Babbage, Esq.
7. Report by the Committee appointed by the Council
of the Royal Society to consider the subject referred to
in a Communication received by them from the Treasury,
respecting Mr Babbage's Calculating Engine, and to re-
III. 1. On Wages and Combinations. By R. Torrens, Esq.
2. Character, Object, and Effects of Trades'-Unions.
V. Excursions in the North of Europe, through parts of Rus-
sia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway, in the years